ABOUT

30.9.13

FALLING BACK UP

It seems I'm having gravity issues in relation to this blog-thing, so to remedy that I declare this a tentative - if slightly botched - attempt at re-establishing some form of anchor.

I keep writing half-things, see, and then stopping; or not stopping but more skipping on to the next, so things get tangled up in each other and all the boundary lines blur into a tangled mass of web-like clutter. There's one about really old dog biscuits; another about a long-dead crow; and something about the awkwardness of buying shoes and why it's an activity I really don't like. And then there are more half-written things, like the one about those imagined conversations you have with people you only half know, and that time the bathroom was duck-egg blue for a couple of weeks and how it connects to my intense dislike of that unsettling shade of white known as Magnolia.

But, for now, all I have is this here half-formed attempt at anchoring, and all this talk of anchoring and lack of gravity makes me think of floating in space and throwing anchors out to the ground below, which in turn reminds me of that Calvino tale from The Complete Cosmicomics. It's the first tale in the book, called The Distance of the Moon. You should read it, and the rest of the book, too, if you feel like it.

Now here's a short Pixar animation for your entertainment. I saw it earlier this year - I think it was being shown with Brave - and immediately it made me think of that Calvino tale. A quick t'interweb search confirms my suspicions that it was indeed influenced by The Distance of the Moon:



While we're at it here's another animation, found while searching for the first one, because you can never have too many animations, particularly ones based on strange tales:
 


And that's all I've got right now, so I'll be pulling up the anchor again and going for another wee space-swim (really I'm just off to draw a raven-crow bird-thing).

5 comments:

  1. That short was shown with 'Brave' - I remember really liking it, and thinking that it had higher production values, and a much better plot, than the main feature (I mean, turning into a bear...REALLY Disney, was that the best you could come up with?)

    I think quality is better than quantity when it comes to blogging. You've always seemed very ethereal to me, so it's appropriate, from my perspective, that you might drift in and out of posting...fitting, somehow :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was a little disappointed with Brave. It left me with a feeling that it was perhaps aimed at a slightly younger audience, rather than having more levels that different ages 'get'. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it also felt like it never quite...got going, like the whole thing was a bit of a sub-plot to the parts that never happened. Maybe I think it could have been embraced a bit more, and turned into something really good, but it just...fell a bit.
      I hope you are doing well :)

      Delete
  2. I want to go to that moon!!

    I must get around to reading Calvino; that story reminds me of Dianna Wynne Jones....

    I love that song in the second one; I forced my brother to learn that so he could play it for me whenever I felt like hearing it. (I know, I'm such a kind and loving sister....)

    Glad you are posting again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're glad :D
      I still need to read (and get a copy of...might help if I do that bit first) Fire and Hemlock. I really love that song too...and now you've said that about your brother, it makes me a little sad that I no longer live with my sister and her piano-playing skills...

      Delete
    2. Fire and Hemlock is great. And it's never the same story when you re-read it...

      Delete